TIME WITH TTU’s AWARD-WINNING CAMPUS ARTISTE OF THE YEAR; DEERILL



Mid last year, 21 year-old David King Nanewortor of Graphic Design Department was named the 2017/2018 TTU SRC Campus Artiste of the Year at the 2017 SRC Ayeeko Awards beating out other student nominees.

ICON PLUSGH caught up with him on campus recently for a chat.  And you would love him.


Who is Deerill?

Deerill is A fast Rising Talented Singer And Rapper. He is from a typical Music Family, who's Mum is a music Tutor and some siblings Musicians as well.
Tell me where you picked rap from?

I started rap when I was in primary school. Because I love to play with words and also love to write stories about people and things I see around and try to compose them as songs. It's fun doing that. I just love it.

Wow!…. and how is the journey so far?

So far so good, the journey hasn't been easy for me to say, but I think am still on and ain't gonna quit until I have gotten where I want to by his Grace.

Let’s know more about your tracks. From your very first, you5r favourite and most successful tracks

My first track I released was titled “Peer pressure", this song was written and recorded by myself back in high school. My target audience was my mates that were easily influenced in school, initially it was an advice I was giving them in an indirect way. That jam still parps you know. Lol.
And for now, my successful song I have is Titled "BIKO" (Please), it’s really doing good in terms of the promo on radio and social media, my team and I really worked hard by pushing this tune, went for several radio interviews in the western region of Ghana just to hype this song, and for me this is my first song I have put in much effort in terms of promo. It's jamming on my campus as well, the ladies be like "Biko please biko biko biko biko please" lol. We just hope for the best in the years to come!

That’s amazing but What is cooking at the moment in your camp?

My next Project is my EP ALBUM, thus LIFE IN THE CITY EP. It and Extention Play record which tells about the hard and good times Lotta people go through to make life Meaningful in the City! You gonna love this EP.

Can you drop hints of the Musicians you plan to feature?
I planned featuring Deekay from Davido's record label. Apolo The current CEO of UNORTHODOX AFRICA Yorm, Natshot Jeckkie and some secret artists!
Good to know

Let’s come back to school
How does campus life influence your music?

Campus life has really influenced my music in many positive ways, it really gave me a clearer picture of how my EP began, I had several interactions with different people and also made new friends, some hated, some loved, some were never willing to help, but campus life as a whole is a big lesson on its own, you gotta know where you coming from before you do certain things on campus. Because some just came to influence people in a negative way, but for me am just holding on to what Mum Thought me.



Why did you decide to pick nomination for TTU’s SRC Ayeeko Awards?
I decided to pick up the forms for TTU SRC Ayekoo awards, because I had all the qualities needed to be given the best campus Artiste.

How was the feeling when you were announced the winner?
The feeling was so deep and awesome when I was declared the winner of the awards. My people were behind me and carried me! It was a memorable event.

I see that
So whom do you look up to?

I have several people I look up to, but the my mentor is Brymo, I really like his personality, his music, his energy, his attitude, the way he speaks, the guy is just so great.

What do you have for your fans?

My fans should expect nothing but just the best from my camp. This year and beyond is ours, and no one can take it from us! Am coming through with lotta litty Jams that would be too hot to handle, they should just watch out and be willing to help support the Movement. Bless #Alldae

Thank you very much for your time with us today. We wish you all the best in your music career!


Comments